Switzerland is difficult to top for breathtaking Alpine landscapes and small villages oozing fairytale charm. The Alps’ soaring snow capped peaks, sparkling blue lakes, verdant valleys, glaciers, and charming lakeside hamlets provide a fairy-tale splendor to this landlocked nation. World-class international resorts and a broad variety of activities, such as hiking, bicycling, climbing, paragliding, skiing, and tobogganing, are nestled among the mountain valleys and lakes.
Visitors come for the breathtaking beauty, but they are also captivated by the numerous cultural attractions. Cities with a strong history, such as Zurich, Geneva, and Lausanne, have superb museums and galleries, old structures, and world-renowned music festivals. Bern, the capital, has a magnificent medieval old town that hugs the bend of a river. Switzerland is bordered by Germany, Italy, Austria, and France, and their languages and customs imbue this country with a multicultural elegance.
From the palm-studded Ticino architecture to the dialects of Swiss-German and Latin-derived Romansch, Switzerland may often feel like multiple countries in one–all with the clean packaging and punctuality for which it is famed.
Explore this magnificent country with our selection of the greatest locations to visit in Switzerland.
You’re probably thinking about Swiss chocolate, Swiss cheese, and Swiss timepieces. These are some of the facts about Switzerland that you are already aware of. However, this landlocked country is a sanctuary for anyone looking for truly stunning and sweepingly dramatic vistas. It’s in the Alps, so how could it not have the picture-perfect appearance that it does?
You could be riding a cogwheel railway up a mountain one minute and exploring medieval heritage sites perched on lakes the next. Prepare for spectacular views of rugged peaks from Swiss mountain villages, visiting ancient districts against a pristine backdrop of sparkling water, and marveling at majestic alpine meadows bordered by snowy mountains. Here are the top locations to visit in Switzerland
30 Best Places to Visit in Switzerland & Things to do
- Zurich – Switzerland’s largest city known for its financial and cultural centers.
- Geneva – a cosmopolitan city located on Lake Geneva with international organizations, museums, and cultural events.
- Bern – the capital of Switzerland known for its medieval architecture, fountains, and museums.
- Lucerne – a picturesque town on the shores of Lake Lucerne with its iconic Chapel Bridge and stunning mountain views.
- Interlaken – a popular resort town situated between two lakes with access to the Swiss Alps.
- Zermatt – a car-free village at the foot of the Matterhorn, offering skiing, hiking, and mountaineering.
- Grindelwald – a scenic mountain village offering breathtaking views of the Swiss Alps.
- St. Moritz – a luxurious resort town famous for skiing, snowboarding, and winter sports.
- Montreux – a town located on Lake Geneva with its stunning views, Chillon Castle, and the Montreux Jazz Festival.
- Jungfraujoch – a saddle between two of Switzerland’s highest peaks, known for its scenic train ride and views.
- Lauterbrunnen – a valley with 72 waterfalls and stunning alpine scenery.
- The Rhine Falls – the largest waterfall in Europe located near Schaffhausen.
- The Aletsch Glacier – the largest glacier in the Alps, offering scenic views and hiking trails.
- Lake Geneva – a crescent-shaped lake located in Western Switzerland with its picturesque towns and castles.
- The Matterhorn – one of the highest peaks in the Swiss Alps and an iconic symbol of Switzerland.
- The Swiss National Park – the country’s only national park with breathtaking views and hiking trails.
- St. Gallen – a historic town with its Abbey Library, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Appenzell – a small town in Eastern Switzerland with traditional customs and architecture.
- The Lavaux Vineyard Terraces – a UNESCO World Heritage Site with stunning vineyards and lake views.
- The Gstaad Palace – a luxurious hotel in the Swiss Alps, offering skiing, hiking, and spa facilities.
- Davos – a resort town known for its winter sports and the annual World Economic Forum.
- Arosa – a mountain resort town with skiing, hiking, and biking trails.
- The Aare Gorge – a natural wonder located in the Bernese Oberland.
- Basel – a cultural city with museums, galleries, and art fairs.
- The Swiss Alps – a mountain range stretching across Switzerland, offering breathtaking views and outdoor activities.
- The St. Bernard Pass – a mountain pass connecting Switzerland and Italy with stunning views and hiking trails.
- The Glacier Express – a scenic train ride through the Swiss Alps, offering views of glaciers and mountain scenery.
- Thun – a picturesque town on the shores of Lake Thun, offering boat tours and stunning views.
- The Lötschental Valley – a remote valley with traditional Swiss architecture and hiking trails.
- The Oeschinen Lake – a beautiful mountain lake located in the Bernese Oberland, offering hiking and winter sports.
Switzerland is a beautiful country with a diverse range of attractions. Some of the best places to visit include Zurich, Geneva, Bern, and Lucerne – cities that offer a combination of historic architecture, cultural events, and stunning natural scenery. Interlaken, Zermatt, Grindelwald, and St. Moritz are popular resort towns offering access to the Swiss Alps and winter sports. Montreux, Lauterbrunnen, and Lake Geneva offer picturesque lakeside towns and castles. The Matterhorn, Aletsch Glacier, and Jungfraujoch are iconic natural wonders, while the Swiss National Park, Aare Gorge, and Lötschental Valley offer breathtaking hiking trails and stunning views. Other must-see attractions include the Rhine Falls, Appenzell, the Lavaux Vineyard Terraces, and the Glacier Express train ride. Switzerland truly has something for everyone – from luxury resorts to remote mountain valleys, there’s no shortage of beauty and adventure to discover.
[…] Switzerland is a beautiful country with a diverse range of attractions. Some of the best places to visit include Zurich, Geneva, Bern, and […]